VFNC helps Veterans of all eras to become self-sufficient farmers and to further expand their operations. We do this by operating the only full-scale production farm for training Veterans in NC. Our innovative organization has worked with over 1,000 beginning Farmer Veterans over the past seven years and we’ve built a community of actively-farming Farmer Veterans larger than any other state in the U.S.
Service Members exiting the military and Veterans alike are often faced with the daunting question of ‘what now?” The Veteran’s Farm of NC answers that question for many of these Soldiers, with their own mission –
“Giving Veterans a new mission and America a new farmer”.
The three programs are critically needed to fill a major void in NC, with agriculture and military being the top two industries. Founded by former Marine Robert Elliott, The Veterans Farm of NC was cultivated by Robert’s experiences on the farm before and after leaving the military himself. Their six month program will focus on history, science, theory, production models, agricultural concepts, and hands-on labs in livestock, poultry, horticulture, field crops, gourmet mushroom production, value added production and much more.
- Training & Education
- 3–4-month: Farm Military Ag Program (MAP) for starting a farm and learning ag skills.
- 4–6-month: Internships & apprenticeships through Hands-on, on-farm.
- 6 month: Veterans Ag Training & Education Program (VATEP) designed to take any Veteran with any skill level and prepare them to manage or own a farm.
- Equipment Usage From tractors to trailers, trucks and other farm equipment, VFNC maintains donated farm equipment that Veterans in NC can check out and use on their farms.
- Networking VFNC manages a network of Farmer Veterans who are running operations in NC by collaborating with them and helping beginning farmers gain mentorship opportunities to learn the ropes and get assistance.
Hands on Education and Training
VATEP is a six-month, comprehensive program covering the agricultural basics needed to start, run, market and secure resources needed to grow your operation.
Farm MAP is part of the Ft. Bragg Career Skills Program. Active-duty military personnel within 180 days of their EAS/ETS are eligible to participate in Farm MAP depending on Unit and SFL/TAPS approval.
The Veteran’s Farm of NC, Inc. is a 501c(3) nonprofit entity devoted to connecting the Military and Agricultural industries.